Quality Testing

Quality is delighting customers

Hiya All,

A few questions and a small plug.

There’s quite a lot of people in this group but very few posts. Of the posts that are here I don’t see much talk about people using Selenium, maybe the problems they’ve encountered, etc.

So, who’s actually using the Selenium tools in their organisations or projects they’re working on?
If you’re in the group because you’re interested in exploring the use of Selenium tools:
--what’s stopping you using them?
-- what would your set-up look like if you did start using them? (which tools, what language)

I’ve submitted a book proposal recently with the draft title of “An Introduction to Web Automation with Selenium & Ruby”, in part because of what I’m seeing in this group. That is people interested in the idea of using Selenium tools but for some reason not being able to crack on and do so. I suggest that reason is there’s a lot that’s unclear about how to do so and a lack of definitive approaches being shared.

It seems to me there are one or two ‘experts’ who like to present themselves as such^ but share little the community can use. My book is an attempt to address that but I want to keep re-asking; why is there not more discussion and take-up of Selenium tools if they’re all so (allegedly) easy to use?

I look forward to your thoughts and feedback.

Mark.

p.s. As I’m researching here I’m sure you’ll understand if you see this question on a number of other community sites.

^ Not a dig, just an observation in terms of 'sharing with the community'.

Views: 106

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mark,

When I created this group, I was doing some r n d on selenium, not actually using it in any project but yea I was trying to make a kind of framework to use it in future, to explore this tool.

I found selenium IDE easy to use, however selenium RC was a nice challenge to learn on my own.
I was looking forward to have discussions in terms of problems faced when you use the tool, anything interesting has not really come up so far but I think people might start discussing once they start using it hopefully.

Meetali
Hiya Meetali,

It's great to wade in and use the Selenium IDE in Firefox given it's so easy to just start using. The first time I did I was blown away by how straight forward it was. Hats off to the Thoughtworks team for such a clever tool.

Using RC was a little less intuitive of course, no simple GUI to look at and click around in. The real tricky tool for me was Grid. When setting up Java and Ant I hit a number of issues with missing files and changing local system settings to make the various machines work together across the Grid Hub.

After that it was the realisation of 'oh, I got the examples running but how do I do my own tests across the Grid...' ;}

I think the main issue I've had overall is the one-thing-after-another that needs to be worked out where with tools like QC it is to some degreee install and run. Perhaps this is what's stopping people progress smartly with Open Source tools in general?

Mark.
Hi Mark ,
At my company we use selenium RC with java driver . We have created a small data driven frame work that takes data from an xml file , parse it for the input parameters and then run the tests according to it. We are able to do really cool regression test on our web project with this set up. As per our frame work i can run only a single suit of test at a time which runs in one server (we use Linux machines) . But I think as u have posted ,to really get the efficiency of selenium RC we have to run the suit simultaneously on multiple servers may be over a grid ,so that we can get to do more efficient test on our web applications also to understand how scalable the application is. If possible can u explain how we can implement such a testing framework , i mean to control simultaneous testing on a number of servers or instants of the suit from a single point of control. Or a thread from where i can start with developing such a suit on Selenium RC with java.

Regards,
Rakesh.P

Hi Rakesh,

Can you pls give me ur personal mail id. i need ur help in Slenium.
Can you pls send me the code which u have used for data driven.

thanks

manoj

manukeerthi@gmail.com

Hi Mark,
Can u plz tell that we can do parametrization in Selenium IDE or not, If Can then How ?

Thanks....
Hi Shashank,

Selenium ide is allow to record and playback is only HTML code
HTML code is not support parametrization

if any wrong please ignore

Regrds,
Malli
I am not sure with that Malli , Saw this link , please give a check.
http://qtp-help.blogspot.com/2009/09/selenium-ide-parametrization.html

Regards,
Rakesh.P
Hi all,
Fortunately I was able to find the answer for my question my self .
the link http://selenium-grid.seleniumhq.org/ gives a complete step by step info , on how to set up selenium grid and run it on multiple ports or multiple machines.

Regards,
Rakesh.P
Hi Rakesh,

Can you pls give me ur personal mail id. i need ur help in Slenium.
Can you pls send me the code which u have used for data driven.

thanks
Monika
monikasri11@gmail.com

RSS

TTWT Magazine

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

© 2019   Created by Quality Testing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service