Quality Testing

Quality is delighting customers

What’s more important: Positive or Negative testing?

What’s more important: Positive or Negative testing?
......for functionality testing

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Upon accepting Cythia's comments,
I can say both has its own weightage in completing testing to certifity the application/product is robust enough in identified practical possible conditions. However priority is always given to positive test cases as matter of fact all most all requirements come under positive cases. The negative cases are identified mostly by testing people.

Note: if you start with -ve testing then obviously you are encouraging developers to fix those bugs instead of focusing actual requirements implementation in which both management and customer are highly interested. At the same time if your application crashes/hangs then you will be answerable.

Take the example while application is running for test; First case only, if you either turn off power or remove hard disk connection or remove critical connection of inputs then raising a defects against these test cases means nothing but disturbing the development team. And hence positive cases are first priority.

More on testing, visit
www.mysdlc.webs.com/testing.htm
Look folks,

- It is not easy to make anymore to crash a system with a negative data (we are not in old traditional world). If you found one in your organization, sack your architect for designing such system.

- My point is to say 'focus on positive that can yield business and revenue'.

>> www.testleaf.in
@ Cynthia,

There are crash in every systems, I experience them everyday. The so called New Technologies aren't established yet. For this reason Architect can't be sacked!

You are right 'focus on positive that can yield business and revenue'. But the fact is only negativity is going to help to stay in business and competition.

Thanks,
@ Cynthia,

What abt said is exactly right and i do agree with his views

'You are right 'focus on positive that can yield business and revenue'. But the fact is only negativity is going to help to stay in business and competition'
@ Ragav,

What abt said is exactly right and i do agree with his views

'You are right 'focus on positive that can yield business and revenue'. But the fact is only negativity is going to help to stay in business and competition'

Come up with your view.

Thanks,
Siddiq
@ABU

My view is already there in the list, see page1

Cheers
-Ragav
@Ragav,

Here is your view, My view inline with your's
Both are important, mainly its the time factor of the project & testing process in the company that decide you to take up the negative testing or not.

Do you know the difference between Process and Strategy??? it's strategy which decides not process. What about cost of the project???

Every stakeholder & decision makers of the project will be eagerly wanting to know all the postive scenario's have been passed first and if time permits they may ask the testing team to test the negative too.

They are eagerly awaiting for FUNCTIONING product not scenarios have been passed/failed. Your scenarios pass/fail doesn't matter to them when they encounter a critical issue. They don't have to ask testing team to test for negativity/positivity, it's TTs implicit job.
Yes i indeed know the difference.. but your process will follow the statergy which has been layed out.

So what do you mean a functioning product its nothing but your product which positive / negative scenarios passed. If the postive scenario of a product fails, you can never say the product is functioning...

Cheers
-Ragav
@ Ragav,

I didn't mention about process, it was you!

Functioning product is FIT for use. Why are you so bothered about scenarios pass or fail? do you work to deliver a quality product or consider only pass/fail? There is nothing called positive or negative when your intention is to deliver a quality product. Don't live with age old ideas come out. In Modern Testing there is no room for scenarios, test cases, positive/negative.

Thanks,
Siddiq
I told process... i mean the process follow statergy, so there is no harm in mentioning either as process or statergy.

You modern age tester, When can you say a functioning product is FIT for use???
@ Ragav

Process is managerial not technical, Strategy is technical not managerial. So there is lot of harm when you say either process or strategy.

Fit for Use is when the user expectations are met, ask him to use the product and provide feedback, your scenarios pass/fail doesn't matter to user, he is least bothered about them.

Thanks,
Siddiq
Whats more important ? your left hand or right hand ? If you have an answer to this question, it would give you the answer to your query above.

best wishes,
saju

RSS

TTWT Magazine

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

© 2019   Created by Quality Testing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service