Quality Testing

Quality is delighting customers

Hi,

What is Data Dictionary? Any one reply to my question.

Regards,
Mary

Views: 154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mary,

In database management systems, a file that defines the basic organization of a database. A data dictionary contains a list of all files in the database, the number of records in each file, and the names and types of each field. Most database management systems keep the data dictionary hidden from users to prevent them from accidentally destroying its contents.

Data dictionaries do not contain any actual data from the database, only bookkeeping information for managing it. Without a data dictionary, however, a database management system cannot access data from the database.

--Mahesh Dhule
Nice explanation mahesh!

Is there any use of data dictionary in manual testing (except database testing) as i have never used it!
are you asking abt data dictionary from DATABASE? coz i heard data dictionary word from database only.

A data dictionary is a reserved space within a database which is used to store information about the database(tables) itself.

A data dictionary may contain information such as:

* Database design information
* Stored SQL procedures
* User permissions
* User statistics
* Database process information
* Database growth statistics
* Database performance statistics

In oracle database, data dictionary is the root place.

it has two attributes,

1) Table name
2) Comments

Table name - list all the table names in database
comments - its META DATA and details abt table.

even you can see the comments of your table by executing below mentioned query:

SELECT comments FROM dictionary WHERE table_name='';
Thanks,
Neelu.
Thanks Neelu for your complete reply. The simple answer is : A database that contains definitions of all data items defined during analysis.
Nice explanation neelu!

RSS

TTWT Magazine

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

© 2020   Created by Quality Testing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service