Bidirectional traceability needs to be implemented both forward and backward (i.e., from requirements to end products and from end product back to requirements).
When the requirements are managed well, traceability can be established from the source requirement to its lower level requirements and from the lower level requirements back to their source. Such bidirectional traceability helps determine that all source requirements have been completely addressed and that all lower level requirements can be traced to a valid source.
When requirements are traced to test cases and vice versa it is called bidirectional traceability.
Bidirectional traceability matrix helps to map the Requirements against the exact test cases written.
It helps to archive:-
- Its like a Metadata of all the test cases and Requirements
- we can trace the functionality from requirements to Test cases and vice versa
- Complete mapping of requirements against Test Cases
- Ensure that all test cases are grouped or linked torespective modules
- Focus of Regression testing can be defined