Quality Testing

Quality is delighting customers

Hi All,

What is 80/20 rule in software testing?

Could you answer my question please.

~Sri

Views: 7831

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

80/20 rule in software testing

 

80% of software quality is maintained by 20% of programmers
80% of bugs in an application are written by 20% of developers
80% of bugs are fixed in 20% of time
20% of a business application accounts for 80% of bugs

Let us see how 80/20 rule can work in terms of software testing and quality control: 80% of software quality is maintained by 20% of programmers
80% of bugs in an application are written by 20% of developers
80% of bugs are fixed in 20% of time
20% of a business application accounts for 80% of bugs

Read - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle#In_software

Example-
80% of software quality is maintained by 20% of programmers
80% of bugs in an application are written by 20% of developers
80% of bugs are fixed in 20% of time
80% of bugs can be found in 20% of application

etc.

Most applications today have been designed to include some form of customization or extensibility including user preference settings, scripting languages or APIs for custom extensions using more traditional languages.
Software companies like Microsoft understand this, and design for a product that addresses 80 percent of the requirements, leaving the last 20% as customizations by the end user

 

80% of Defects are Caused by 20% of Code……


The concept here is the Pareto Principle, originally described by Vilfredo Pareto and later formalized by Joseph Juran. Of course, this is just a rule of thumb, but an important one. Whether the percentages are really 70/30 or 90/10, the reality is that most things are caused by a few underlying factors.


For software testers, knowing this fact can offer tremendous value. If a tester is simply looking at a list of 100 bugs, it may not be clear if there is any underlying meaning. But if the tester were to combine those bugs based on some kind of category, it may be possible to see that a very large number of bugs come from very few places.

Here are a few recommendations for getting the most out of this principle:


- Try to sort bugs by root cause and not by outcome. Grouping all the bugs that made the software crash isn’t that helpful. Grouping all the bugs that resulted from module XYZ is more helpful.
- Work with developers to look for innovative groupings. For example, 80% of the program’s bugs may result from calling the same underlying library. However, that may not be readily apparent from where the bugs occur within the program.
- Remember that bugs may result from flawed procedures. For example, a large number of bugs could be present because a developer is using out of date specifications.

This principle can be tremendously powerful in reducing the bug counts within a program because solving just a few things can make a program much more stable.

 

Hi...

80-20 rule is also known as Pareto's principle/Pareto efficiency named after Vilfredo Pareto. It is a common business rule that 80% of the sales come from 20% of your clients. On the same line, microsoft is supposed to have noted that 80% of errors or crashed can be avoided by fixing top 20% of your bugs.

Regards

Renu

 

I agree with the Renu's answer...

But the challenge here is first you need to identify those top 20% of bugs which needs to be fixed for the rest to take care off...

80% of Defects are Caused by 20% of Code……

RSS

TTWT Magazine


Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

© 2020   Created by Quality Testing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service