Quality Testing

Quality is delighting customers

what if a defect has been raised by customer when the application goes live

HI

I have tested a web application. I have tested it by considering all positive and negative cases. Even my project manager has tested the application. When we decided that everything was going fine, then application has been moved to live. But now customer has found a defect which was not found during testing process at our location. At test environment the results were correct. There was no problem at test environment. When the application has moved to live, the results were shown wrong.Don't know where was the problem.

What should a tester do in this situation. what kind of explanation should be given by the testers. and who will be responsible for this problem, the tester or the developer?

Thanks & regards
Jyotsna S

Views: 217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First analyse with the release details. If both are same check the coverage of test cases. if that part is tested and passed check any configuration details if anything related to it. if that is also ok.. The tester who tested that section will be held responsible. Overall the team lead will be questionable.
Jyotsna, Developer has nothing to do with this to my knowldge...
coming to your qstn--impact on Tester depends on the Priority/Severity of the issue found by customer.

Safe side for Tester is: If its a Product based one then the expalnation a Tester can give is that the Data/Environment used by us is different when compared with customer(If it's so).

End of Day these things happen in general. So one should make sure not to let things repeated.
It’s evident that EXHAUSTIVE TESTING is not possible in general. So, as per our knowledge we may think that we have covered enough test cases (like as you mentioned positive and negative etc) BUT the real fun starts once the build/appln is shipped to the client place and put into live usage.

In this case, if a bug is encountered by end-user (aka. customer) then we can take immediate step to solve the bug and fix the problem instead of playing a BLAME game whether it’s a fault of Tester or Developer. We could think of root cause by which we could say that the problem has occurred in so and so phase. But the ultimate goal is to make it bug free as much as we can as a Testers. I think pointing to someone (LIke dev/PM/TL for that matter time line) is simply a waste of time instead we could think in different ways to test the application as end-user does.

-!ndra
Have a great time. Keep Smiling.
How is it possible that you considered all positive and negative test cases? Or do you mean consider in the sense of 'we thought about what they might be' rather than 'we actually tested all cases'? Even for trivially small applications, even using automation, it is not possible to test all cases.

Imagine a simple application that only lets you log on - nothing else. Assuming 8 characters for the user name and 8 characters for the password - there are an infinite number of possible test cases. For example, I could enter as user name 'a', backspace and repeat an infinite number of times. Further, just because the application is only supposed to take 8 characters as input, I could still try to put in 9, or 10, or 11....

Any real application would normally be significantly more complex than simple log on.

Regards

Rick McCrae
Considered all positive and negative cases means that tested the application by assuming all the possible ways i was able to do.

finally you have not given any reply regarding the question i have asked

any ways thank you for the information

Regards
Jyotsna S
1. Is that a combinational defect ?
2. Will end user be affected by that defect ?
3. Is the defect critical?
4. The leaked defect testing scenario was ever been executed?
5. If scenario is not though for testing, then analyse why is it so?
6. Mostly management would look for corrective action for any such incidents, so prepare that well. Above questions may help in getting those corrective actions.

bye...
Study and understand the defect(nature, situation / user scenario, environment, compatibility….) raised by the client.
? Check requirements
? Check the test scenarios
? Test Cases either you covered / not
? Check the defect bucket
? Check the Release note
If you find same what client raised then you have answer to say something.
If not covered in Requirements – top level will deal this, If its included in the developed requirement then you have justify based on the situation….…

Who is responsible for this: It depends on various factors, in simple if it’s there in the requirements and the test scenarios / cases QA will raise this in the defects list, if it’s there in the requirements and the QA will miss this – QA will fired. I can say QA was gate keeper for the delivery of the quality product.

// RAM
Hi Jyotsna,

Good Question, here is my views

Ideally we need to analyse the defect raised by the customer.

if it is some thing apart from scope of their requirement which was intended, it need not have concern at all, we can let the marketing team know about it & they can let customers know its out of the scope and if at all they need this as a part and if it can also be developed by the resourses then they can do it for their client.

If it is some thing that is part of their requirement or what the product is intended to perform as per the mutual agreement with the client, is not working now.

then 1st of all resposibility will defenetly have to be taken by the testers, as a good testers they have to accept it and

I think instead of searching for an explanation, you can try to analyze how this could have happened, and what as a tester you were lacking or was challenging enough to find it out earlier before the release and communicate that to mangement in a clear way, so that it helps management to correct if there is any thing wrong with in the testing / development process followed by the them.

The probelm may lie with the individual and also it might be on the entire process, either of it, can be corrected and take them as a lessons learnt and most important thing is not to repeat it in the future ;)

Cheers
-ragav
thank you Ragav for providing with the information

any way this is one of the experience which made me to analyze in more ways while testing.

And finally i do believe that mistakes makes testers perfect :)

Regards
Jyotsna S
I guess you had a good experience,

Anaysis of the bug given by the customer is the key factor.

And explain abt the issue to the management is another challenging task.

Happy Testing

Cheers
-ragav
jyotsna,

you cannot blame anybody for this, need to do a Root cause analysis on why it slipped thru and how the customer found it. was it a scenario, enviroment setting etc..
did you reproduce the error after the client informed you, if yes and if its reproduceable, then your test cases and test scenarios needs to be revamped.
if its not reproduceable, then ask the lcient to help you undersntad the envirnment and situation as to what cause the defect
Actually while testing process the result was correct. i have tested the same functionality many times and even my incharge have tested it. It was fyn untill it was in testing environment. after it was moved to live the problem has started. i dont know where the problem has occurred

RSS

TTWT Magazine

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

© 2019   Created by Quality Testing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service