Quality is delighting customers
Selenium has been around for a while and is one of the most popular open source testing tools out there. I myself have used Selenium for 8 years and it does have some great features. The reason people are still using Selenium is-
That being said I think it does have its own limitations such as
I think a lot of people have understood the above problems and are trying to fix these issues.
Check out these 2 articles that describe Selenium/Selenium IDE with other tools that are out there-
As per observations of software testing services company, below are the major advantages and disadvantages of Selenium tool:
Advantages of Selenium
1) The major advantage of Selenium is, it is an Open Source Software
2) Various programming languages are supported by Selenium to write programs (Test scripts) like Java,C#,Perl,Python,Ruby and PHP
3) Various operating systems are supported by Selenium(MS Windows, Linux, Macintosh etc…)
4) Various Browsers are supported by Selenium (Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, IE, Opera, Safari etc…)
5) Parallel Test Execution can be performed by Selenium .
6) Hardware resources requirement is very less by using Selenium
Disadvantages of Selenium
1) Selenium supports only Web-based applications not desktop-based applications.
2) Time-Consuming in creating test scripts
3) Limited support for Image Testing.
4) New features may not work properly.