Quality Testing

Quality is delighting customers

How & when to do Sanity testing in your project? Please give live example. How it differ to Regression testing.?

Hi,

How & when to do Sanity testing in your project? Please give live example. How it differ to Regression testing.?

Views: 6983

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

after smoke testing we do sanity  i mean after receiving stable build we do sanity. there is no diff between sanity nd regression basically we do regression after recieveing build2 in the following situations:

-after defect is fixed

-any new functionaltiy is added 

-any environment change

-if system undergoes more than 2-4 releases

-if there is a sudden fall in the defect density.

to make sure that these does not create any negative impact on the funcatinality of the application

however,after recieving every  build we do smoke  testing first followed by sanity testing if above mention points takes place then we go with regression...(tel to the interviewer that we do in this way in ma company)

Hi Santosh,

As you stated Both sanity and regression testings almost same.But some will tell Both smoke and sanity are synonyms and some will deliver as smoke,sanity regression are diff.As per my knowledge there is no comparison  with sanity  and regression.All these three smoke,sanity and regression is different i think.Could u/anybody give clarity on smoke,sanity,regression as for interview prospective.

Thanks,

Aparna S

1. Smoke Testing: Testing done in all [widely] areas related to newly added features,but not in depth.  It will determines whether we should continue for further testing process.
  2. Sanity Testing: Testing done in narrow(straight) areas related to newly added features, in depth.
  3. Regression testing: Testing done in all areas related to newly added features, in depth.

For example take a river, for instance, which has, for instance 1000 feet width, and contains “dusts” in its water (which can be considered as “bugs” in software), the goal for the corresponding three types of tests should be as follows:

For Smoke Testing: to find out the dusts in all over the surface of the river, which not includes the dusts under water.

For Sanity Testing: to find out the dusts in a specific width (for instance left side 200 feet), which not only includes the dusts on surface, but also includes the dusts under water, till the last depth of the river.

For Regression Testing: to find out all the dusts that are available on surface and under the water in all over the river.

By

www.alligatortek.com

hello aparna,

i didnt said they  are same i wil give once again an overview of it from interview point of view:

see smoke testing in my company is performed by developers on all major functionalities to make sure that build is testable to testers without  test cases and with valid data.if smoke testing is failed we reject the build as a high severity defect.(its up to you u can tel like smoke testing in ur company is performed by testers or developers )so,basically smoke testing is performed before sanity.

sanity: after receiving stable build test engineer will do sanity testing by identifying scenerios to test all existing functionalties and executing test cases. if identified any defect  at this stage we report it as a NEW defect using any bug tracking tool like QC or bugzilla......

and regression is wat i said on the top

smoke:on all major functionalities

sanity: on all existing functioalitites

regression: 

after defect is fixed

-any new functionaltiy is added 

-any environment change

-if system undergoes more than 2-4 releases

-if there is a sudden fall in the defect density.

to make sure that these does not create any negative impact on the funcatinality of the application

hope u get me nw

Aparna,

Smoke , Sanity and Regression they all are different ... 

Smoke is done on each and every build just to ensure that the major functionalities are working fine and the Build can be accepted and further testing can be done...

Sanity is a kind of Narrow regression testing .. It is never done on 1st build... I mean ... When a build comes after repair or any kind of functional changes ( Adding extra feature , Deleting existing functionalities or Bug fixes ) sanity is done to ensure that the build is in sane enough condition to be tested ... here some of the test cases from Regression test pack is executed to ensure that the changes has not impacted the unchanged area and if sanity passes you could further proceed to Full Regression testing...  and if it fails .. we wont kill our precious time by going for Full regression testing ....     I simple words :- Sanity is subset of Regression ..

Regards:

Samrat Jha.

Hi,

Thanks for reply  and understand basic difference is we do smoke testing first without going into deep and then sanity on modify build and going into deep. This is correct ? how we can give good live example in interview ? please explain

When we get a build after modification , instead of doing full Regression testing we do sanity testing in which we execute some of the test cases from Regression pack and if Sanity passes then its a kind of assurance that the System is in the condition to be tested specially Regression can be done ... 

For example:- You have 1000 test cases in your Regression Pack .. and You get a build after major changes , Now you need to perform Regression testing .( here you have 1000 test cases and executing them all will take great amount of time so instead of executing the whole pack ( i:e 1000 test cases ) we will execute a subset  lets say 100 test cases to ensure that the major changes have not impacted the system badly .. ( It will be called Sanity testing ) ... and if our these 100 test cases get executed with lets say 80% pass then we will proceed further and will execute the remaining 900 test cases ( Suppose we are going for Full Regression ) .. or else the test team will wait for an stable build .....

Hope Its over now..???

Regards:

Samrat Jha..

Hi Samrat,

thanks, just i want to confirm about sanity  example how we can explain in easy way.

I have already given you a nice and easy explanation,  at least read it...  because I often fail to understand the easy way ........ 

When it comes to select test cases for Sanity :- We pick random test cases which covers the core functionalities ......... 

Hi

Thanks 2 all,whoever have given clear picture on this.

Regards,

Aparna S

Guys,

To inform you all that, as per ISTQB or ASTQB or CSTE or GTB or ITB, there is no different between Smoke testing and sanity testing.

This is my request to all of you that dont blindly trust those definitions written in the blogs. would suggest you guys to go through some testing board finalized definitions.

COMING TO THE POINT:

yes, there is no difference between smoke and sanity, it is just different organizations use different terminology.

Smoke/Sanity performed on each and every build given for testing to signal back to dev team that build has passed smoke/sanity and we can now proceed further.

Regression: It is done to ensure that no undiscovered defect has been found after fix/change has been applied to the existing build. Or in other words, regression testing is performed to ensure that new change/fix has not impacted/affected existing functionality which was working fine earlier.

Can discuss more if anyone requires more clarification or having any doubts.

Thank You

Mitul Rathod

RSS

TTWT Magazine

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

© 2022   Created by Quality Testing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service