Quality Testing

Quality is delighting customers

What is difference Reliability & portability in Software product ? Explain with example.
Thanks
HItesh Shah

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Reliability is connected with how realiable is the product. How durabable is.Portability is the software codebase feature to be able to reuse the existing code instead of creating new code when moving software from an environment to another. One relaible product should also be a portable :)
Not entirelly true, Aleksander.
A reliable SW is a SW wich is capable to respond as intended to a speciefied there fore known input.
A portable SW does not imply that is also reliable in real life.
But we can say all reliable product will also be portable rite...
this is bit personal, i think on reliable product should be portable :)
Thanks for given nice explanation and example , Now I Understand .
Hitesh Shah
Noida
Adi,
As per my understanding Reliability comes above all features of a Project/Product.If a software is reliable then only u can think that yes it might be portable, Durable or will perform as per intended?

@Aleksandar said " One relaible product should also be a portable". dats very TRUE.

Do suggest if m wrong?
Software Reliability is the probability of failure-free software operation for a specified period of time in a specified environment.

Reliability–ability to be expected to perform its intended functions satisfactorily. This implies a time factor in that a reliable product is expected to perform correctly over a period of time. It also encompasses environmental considerations in that the product is required to perform correctly in whatever conditions it finds itself (sometimes termed robustness).

Eg : - A software will run smoothly it 100 user works in it, but it will start failing when 101 user logs in where it is expected to work with out any issues irrespective of number of users logging in.

Portability is the software code base feature to be able to reuse the existing code instead of creating new code when moving software from an environment to another. The prerequisite for portability is the generalized abstraction between the application logic and system interfaces. When one is targeting several platforms with the same application, portability is the key issue for development cost reduction.

Software portability may be achieved on three different levels:

* Installed program files may be transferred to another computer.
* The program may be reinstalled (from the distribution files) on another computer.
* The source files may be compiled for another computer.

eg: - This i am often seeing in my day today work, my application will work fine in Windows vista, but once if i run it mac system it won work as per expected result.

I got this from other sources, thanks for posting this question and made me to explore some details regarding this, the examples are out of my understandings...
I hope my above findings are useful to you...

thanks Hitesh

Regards
Ragav
Thanks for given nice explanation and example , Now I Understand .
and invite me (add me ) for Friend and share your valuable knowledge.
Thanks
Reliability:
The extent to which a program can function
Ex:
Too many users,
Too much data

Portability:
The effort required to transfer software from 1 one configuration to other

Ex:
IE to FF
Win XP to Vista
Could be both hardware and software configuration. (Compatibility and Configuration Testings)

Thanks,
Siddiq
Thanks, yes this is good example .
You know about difference QA & QC & there work profile ?
Pl reply .
Thanks
Hitesh shah
Noida
Software reliability is to measure how often a software fails. The less it fails, the more reliable it is.

Software portability is the ability to extend the software, i.e. the ability to run on different programs. e.g. a software initially build to run on linux has the ability to run on windows as well.
Thanks, yes this is good example .
You know about difference QA & QC & there work profile ?
Pl reply .
Thanks
Hitesh shah
Noida

RSS

TTWT Magazine

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

© 2022   Created by Quality Testing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service