Quality is delighting customers
Priority: Priority of the bug fixing. This specifically depends upon the functionality that it is hindering. Generally Medium, Low, High, Urgent are the type of severity that are used.
Severity: This is typically a numerical field, which displays the severity of the bug. It can range from 1 to 5, where 1 is high severity and 5 is the lowest.
Severity means how severe the bug is, that is how much that bug is effecting the application. severity is always according to the Tester..
Priority means how important the bug is, should it be fixed immediately or can be fixed later.. It is always according to the Developer..
In simple i would i like to say :-
we decide priority depends on bussiness requirements
severity depends on functional requiremnet
How serious the defect is, is described in terms of severity. It is classified in to 4 types.
1. FATAL Sev1 S1 1
2. MAJOR Sev2 S2 2
3. MINOR Sev3 S3 3
4. SUGGESION Sev4 S4 4
It is all the problems are related to navigational blocks or unavailability of functionality then such types of problems are treated to be FATAL defect.
Note: It is also called as show stopper defects.
It at all the problems are related to the working of the features then such types of problems are treated to be MAJOR defects.
It at all the problems are related to the look and feel of the application then such types of problems are treated to be MINOR defects.
If at all the problems are related to the value of the application then such types of problems are treated to be suggestions.
The sequence in which the defects have to be rectified is described in terms of priority. It is classified in to 4 types.
Usually the FATAL defects are given CRITICAL priority, MAJOR defects are given HIGH priority, MINOR defects are given MEDIUM priority and SUGGITION defects are given LOW priority sent depending upon the situation the priority may be changed by the project lead or development lead.
Low Severity High Priority Case:
In the case of customer visit all the look and feel defects, which are usually less savior, are given highest priority.
High Severity Low Priority Case:
If at all some part of the application is not available because it is under development still the test engineer will treat team as FATAL defect, but the development lead will give less priority for those defects.
1. Bug causes system crash or data loss.
2. Bug causes major functionality or other severe problems;product crashes in obscure cases.
3. Bug causes minor functionality problems, may affect "fit and finish".
4. Bug contains typos, unclear wording or error messages in
low visibility fields.
1. Must fix as soon as possible. Bug is blocking further progress in this area.
2. Should fix soon, before product release.
3. Fix if time; somewhat trivial. May be postponed.
Severity: Severity determines the defect's effect on the application. Severity is given by Testers
Priority: Determines the defect urgency of repair.Priority is given by Test lead or project manager
1. High Severity & Low Priority : For example an application which generates some banking related reports
weekly, monthly, quarterly & yearly by doing some calculations. If there is a fault while calculating yearly
report. This is a high severity fault but low prioritybecause this fault can be fixed in the next release as a
2. High Severity & High Priority : In the above example if there is a fault while calculating weekly report. This is a high severity and high priority fault because this fault will block the functionality of the application immediately within a week. It should be fixed urgently.
3. Low Severity & High Priority : If there is a spelling mistake or content issue on the homepage of a website which has daily hits of lakhs. In this case, though this fault is not affecting the website or other functionalities but considering the status and popularity of the website in the competitive market it is a high priority fault.
4. Low Severity & Low Priority : If there is a spelling mistake on the pages which has very less hits throughout the month on any website. This fault can be considered as low severity and low priority. Priority is used to organize the work. The field only takes meaning when owner of the bug
P1 Fix in next build
P2 Fix as soon as possible
P3 Fix before next release
P4 Fix it time allow
P5 Unlikely to be fixed
Default priority for new defects is set at P3