Quality Testing

Quality is delighting customers

Is this Right to share Your test cases with developers before release.

Our company is going to follow a new process in which we have to share our test cases before release to development team and first they verify those cases from their end  and then only release it to QA. So is this right approach from QA point of view ?

Views: 1627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Neha,

I have shared my test cases with developers and this is true, this won't be affecting any thing in testing. Because the developers can reduce the bugs by doing unit testing and not by writing the code as per the test cases. So sharing is good because by sharing test cases developer can cover as many scenarios without missing.

It is always a good, to show the functional testcases to dev.

And if they are going to test as per the testcases you have written, It is always good for you that you are going to get more time for exploratory testing and obviously the defects too.

Is it right to share their code before releasing it to testing? if YES THEN YES

Or we say developers should also share their unit test case's with Test Team ?

Why they should not? 

In my opinion ALL information should be shared between different parties. No matter if it is code or test cases. The goal of all parties is same: Software with good quality. And everyone should work to reach that goal. There isn't enemies, there isn't competitors - devs & testers are part of same team. 

Even if I didn't get information, I'd gladly share my information to other people also. If it helps us to get better software quality, then it is worth of sharing.

At perfect world the testers and devs would sit in same room, and work together. Devs could ask from testers, testers could ask from devs. And communication loop should be as short as possible. I don't like the process where developers first develop the application couple weeks. Then testers get their hands to it. Test it couple weeks and then report back to developers. 

I thinks this is will be good and now every company is following this process.

As Dev first run the test cases, this can reduce QA cycle and effort both.

this also helps DEV, to understand things and scenarios which might they hav miss while testing.

Also, they can help QC to know if any scenarios miss at their end.

@Peoples, who follows this sharing process. Kindly clarify my below queries,

1. IF Escalation comes, whether Dev team also accompanying with you in managers room? (Bcoz they also tested your TC right?)
  2. If you doing white box testing, whether they send their source code/SP for your review?
  3. If they want to review your TC, then why should we have PL, TL, SSE, SE hierarchy?
  4. You people getting rate based on your quality or project quality?

hi Vinodh,

1. IF Escalation comes, whether Dev team also accompanying with you in managers room? (Bcoz they also tested your TC right?)

-Sharing the testcases doesn't mean they are doing your job. They are just referring your test cases/ ideas to crack the system. And normally I have seen most of the defects you get in the exploratory testing than the formal testcase execution.

1. If you doing white box testing, whether they send their source code/SP for your review?

- It totally depends on your developers mentality. But If you have sound knowledge to test there code, then surly they will ask you for dry run.

1. If they want to review your TC, then why should we have PL, TL, SSE, SE hierarchy?

- In this case they don't want to review your test cases. they want to verify their code getting executed properly or is there any loop hole.

1. You people getting rate based on your quality or project quality?

- If you are working in team then off course project quality matters more than individual's quality.

Our company follows this 2 yrs before, now after completing each and every requirement we sit with developers test the functions and tell the issues in development itself.

Is it right for developers to share code before release?

It depends what kind of process model is. For example we have continuous integration, and (almost) every nightly build is "released" and ready for testers. I'm at automation and integration testing team, we can check out and build the production code when ever we want to (and it should be done daily). So code is all the time accessible for us, releases for testers are usually not following any official release cycle.

All sharing is always good. More you communicate, better work you can do. More developers communicate, more feedback they get.

I think sharing the test cases with the development team is a good approach.Because this allows the developers to analyze the test cases thoroughly to develop quality application and thereby saving the re-work time.

testing automation tool

RSS

TTWT Magazine

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

© 2022   Created by Quality Testing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service