Quality Testing

Quality is delighting customers

<Interview question>If a build is assigned a duration of 4 days but you are asked to complete it in 1 day due to some constraints. How will you do it?

This is a question asked to one of my friend in an interview:

If a build is assigned a duration of 4 days but you are asked to complete it in 1 day due to some constraints. How will you do it?

Anyone has a proper solution for this?

Views: 295

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If You think that the Job can be done in one day thats fine or else :--- We will execute high priority test cases first and would perform best possible  testing in available time frame so that we could cover high risk areas ... or if need be Automation can be a solution... 

hi samrat we will go for automation when u have time only , in this situation we will execute all high priority test cases, by doing adhoc testing

Regards

Venkat.M

1. In this case, increase your resources temporarily or seek support from other teams.

2. Consult your team, take their views on how much everyone can stretch to deliver the build.

3. Tell the Client honestly on your schedules and let them know that it will be a stretch. This approach will not only earn u respect and understanding but also avoid misunderstanding.

Thanks!!!!

There cannot be a perfect answer to this.

This is what I do when I am in a similar situation -

-Run through all the high priority issues, confirm those with the client first. Give them or your lead, the list of high priority issues & confirm if they are rightly arranged.

-Run regression tests around the fixes done the current build.

That should be more than enough for the day:)

Cheers!

Tahir

If it's not possible to execute all your tests & test all Issues in the given time (1 day) even with an increased number of testers (help from other teams) I would do exactly what Tahir wrote.

BUT there's only one thing missing: Communicate to the project owner/ leader that you are not able to perform a complete regressiontest within only 1 day & that the quality of the product might suffer from such a testapproach. When the project owner is aware of the risk & willing to take it - I'm fine with it...

kr

Peter, 

Its a build which has been assigned to you... so why are you guys talking about Regression testing ? I am unable to understand ..???

hi samrat

even a high priority areas execution will not be a rite answer if u r getting a fresh build . rather we will go for smoke testing first in a very small time constraint in a continuance with functional testing ( not regression ) and sanity testing..

@ Ayush, 

So after doing Smoke your Job is Complete..??  Dude,  You have got to do a task in one day and You are going to do Smoke and Sanity..??? 

u cant do testing in an unstructured way thts y i talked about smoke n sanity..but i m satisfied by ur answer to..but you have written only high priority n if u could add high severity n all high risk areas which could harm the application , the answer will be more suitable....

but at last i agree wid u dude

thanks

@ Ayush,

I would like to tell you that :- Indeed You have to perform testing in unstructured way.. after all how can you forget : Exploratory and Ad-hoc testing...  okay...  Severity is something which you get to know after executing the test case, So you could not plan your test case on behalf of Severity ... Okay now coming to High Risk ... I think you need to understand that What is high Priority ..? Priority to the test cases is always set on behave of High risk areas . and the functionality which could affect the business ... and the functionalities which is most visible to the User...!  Hope it is sufficient to support my answer..!

The answer is to prioritize, with assumption that not all features would be complete within a day.  If you take the Agile perspective, you want to be able to deliver working software.  And for that to be completed, you need to be sure that the features included can be completed in a day.  The question is testing your friends ability to adapt, not just follow strict process. Another possible solution is to request more development resource, if negotiating on build scope is not possible.  What is important is that all concerned understand the risks of that scenario.

Regression testing is part of scope of testers, not developer working on his/her build.  But the developer should be aware of the testing requirements outside of unit testing.  Regression test would be overkill in this scenario - a sanity test would be more appropriate (i.e. a subset of regression test plan, aimed at verifying the new build.

I always face this type of situation..........bcoz i m the only tester of my company and i couldn't take help from any colleague.......first u must know the flow of the project from starting to the end........in that situation......i do adhoc testing basis of knowing the flow of the project.......n if i get any major issue which is blocked the app then i tell to the dev directly to resolve it first without sending any mail or reporting it....according to me, there is no need of depth testing in that situation..just cover all major functionality of that project...

RSS

TTWT Magazine

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

© 2021   Created by Quality Testing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service