Quality is delighting customers
If you decided to learn automation,
1.Choose right 'automation tool' and stick to it until learning the framework
2.Watch 'Youtube' related to the automation tool tutorials.
3.Refer sample code based 'Books' of the testing tool
4.Design your 'first script' in the automation tool using samples scripts in github.com
5. 'Execute' and see how your automation script work!
6. Learn how you can actually design an 'Automation Framework' by yourself
7. Share your scripts in github.com and share the script with fellow testers.
8. Post your questions in forums (qualitytesting.info) and get the answers from experts
9. Document what you learnt, else you will forget over the years
10. Main Point: 'Teach' at least one person on how to script first automation code!
If you think some points missed here, please post as a comment below,which will help many manual testers!
It is important to learn at least one programming language also. One major risk of test automation is script which is hard to maintain and debug. If you end up to do such test, most of your time will go to debugging & fixing the existing tests instead of creating then new ones.
I recommend to learn Java or Python. After you've learned one programming language, you can learn others also quite easily.
* Python: https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python - this is interactive tutorial and very good learning point
* Java: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ - this is THE Java tutorial. It is teaching all aspects of Java. This is not interactive so you'll have to install the compiler & test editor yourself.
Thanks for sharing, But I also love my points which is also helpful to your list
Tips to Move to Automation Testing
1-Stay updated with the latest tools and Techniques of automation testing, Understand the market needs
2-Write to learn the needed coding part, Don’t Run from the coding part
3-Keep yourself dedicated to the results and goals
4-Incresed your test automation network
5-Try to catch the opportunity
6-Never Forget manual Testing
7- Start with selenium testing tool
As a member of Testrig Technologies, Leading QA and automation Testing Company for web and mobile apps, These things we suggest to our each employee
In the today's era it is very there is high demand for hybrid engineers who can do both functional and automation testing as per requirement.
Hence there is a definite need that a functional tester should also learn automation testing. To become automation tester once should follow following steps as per quality assurance services
1. Programming language:
It is very important to learn a programming language as it act as pre-requisite for automation testing. You can start with Python, Java etc. Now a days Python is getting an upper hand on Java as it is easy to learn and execution speed is high.
2. Open Source Tools:
There are many open source tools available which helps in automation testing and makes our work easier. One best example is selenium web driver.
3. Choose right Framework:
To be a good automation tester, you should have knowledge of at least 1 or 2 frameworks. For example: Cucumber, protractor etc. With a good framework, you can take following advatages:
- Code re-usability
- Testing Efficiency