Quality is delighting customers
If you decided to learn automation,
1.Choose right 'automation tool' and stick to it until learning the framework
2.Watch 'Youtube' related to the automation tool tutorials.
3.Refer sample code based 'Books' of the testing tool
4.Design your 'first script' in the automation tool using samples scripts in github.com
5. 'Execute' and see how your automation script work!
6. Learn how you can actually design an 'Automation Framework' by yourself
7. Share your scripts in github.com and share the script with fellow testers.
8. Post your questions in forums (qualitytesting.info) and get the answers from experts
9. Document what you learnt, else you will forget over the years
10. Main Point: 'Teach' at least one person on how to script first automation code!
If you think some points missed here, please post as a comment below,which will help many manual testers!
It is important to learn at least one programming language also. One major risk of test automation is script which is hard to maintain and debug. If you end up to do such test, most of your time will go to debugging & fixing the existing tests instead of creating then new ones.
I recommend to learn Java or Python. After you've learned one programming language, you can learn others also quite easily.
* Python: https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python - this is interactive tutorial and very good learning point
* Java: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ - this is THE Java tutorial. It is teaching all aspects of Java. This is not interactive so you'll have to install the compiler & test editor yourself.