Quality Testing

Quality is delighting customers

1.Whether(Testing policy)  is the first document in testing documentation.

2.Who will  prepare this document.

3.what are all the needs will be covered under this policy.

Views: 491

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is this another fancy name for a 'Testing Strategy'? 

This is the first time I came across this terminology. So, I need someone to enlighten me.

Hi Hussain,

Test policy: A high level document describing the principles, approach and major objectives of the organization regarding testing.

Thanks & Regards,

Vijetha

:) i am thinking same what is Testing Policy who invent this terminology??

Below points are to be covered in Testing Policy:

1)      For any new release, complete requirement document with sign off to be provided to the testing team, well in advance of the SIT start date. Also, there should be some document provided to the testing team, which will give the details of the implementation of the requirements (functional requirement document), UI design and validations document, document which captures the impacted tables in the databases.

2)      Test Conditions or Test Scenarios should be reviewed and sign off by BA. Then only testing team start test case design.

3)      System Test Cases to be written by the testing team based on all the above documents. The test cases to be peer reviewed and Sign off from test Lead

4)      The release to be made to SIT in the first half of the day as per the planned SIT date. In case there is delay in the release because of any reason, then the SIT timelines needs to be re-visited and publish updated dates based on discussion with PM.

5)      The release should be properly versioned by the development team.

6)      In case the release is rejected because of following reasons –

1. Showstopper defect(s) – Test Execution cannot continue.
  2. Major defect(s) in main functionalities of the release.
  3. Only few functionalities working out of all the released functionalities.
  4. Unwanted/garbage pop-up boxes left in the flow.

Then SIT will be stopped and a new release has to be made for SIT. The new release should be versioned incrementally.

7)      Before releasing the defect fix release for SIT, the status of the fixed defects needs to be updated in Whizible. Also, the list of fixed defects needs to be communicated to the testing team in the release mail.

8)      Testing team to carry out a round of regression testing alongwith the fixed defects.

9)      Once all the high severity and high priority defects are closed, only then the release to be made for UAT.

10)   Before releasing to UAT, all the defects should be either in Closed or Postponed status.

Note-: Due to time Constraints ST2 only involve testing of Defect Fixes and impacted area. Already passed test cases should not be in scope during ST2.

Above Document is prepared by Test Lead or Test Manager

Hello Friend,

Policy = Plan Of Action. I means Testing PLan of Action.
As Vijeta said, its Test Plan document that covers each action to be followed throughout Project's Testing life cycle.

Test PLan = Objective + Scope + Test Strategies (Approach) + Test Designing (Test Case Designing/Procedure)+ Testing Level & types (Unit/Integration/System/UAT & Functionality/Usibality/compabitility/security etc) + Recource Management (Hardware/Software/Human) + Bug Life Cycle + Risk & Mitigation + What you will provie them in the End of Testing.

Test Plan is very high level action doc that almost covers everything that win customer's satisfaction to be rendered a Quality System.

All above are basics of what test Plan covers. And I believe we should mention only those stuffs we are really sure of to be able to provide. So no copy/paste. People say "Nakal karne ko bhi Akal chahiye". We should follow it firmly.

If anything else I can do for you, let me know.

Thanks

Palak Sharma

@ Behbood, 

this is not the fancy name for test strategy ... they are different ..  but yes you are right in your own way ..  it is not necessary to prepare test policy and test strategy ... we can have single document dealing with all the mentioned points......

senthamilselvan

1) yes Test Policy is the first document ...  it is very much Organization dependent ...

2)  A test manager or a Project manager is responsible for preparing this document ...

3) Test Policy gives rules for testing ...  A test policy describes the organizations philosophy towards testing .. It may be a written document which describes the overall objective about testing an organization wants to achieve . This policy may be developed by the IT , R and D or Product development department  but should reflect the organizational values and goals....  It may be a short / High level document  which Provides  :-------

1) The definition of testing , such as building confidence that the system works as intended and detecting defects ..

2) It describes How to evaluate effectiveness and efficiency of testing .

3) It describes about the fundamental test process as well as entry and exit criteria .

4) It defines the desired quality target .

5) It specifies the activities for test process improvement ...  etc etc .........

Test strategy is ( up to some extent ) dependent on test policy set by the organization ....

Source : ISTQB Advance level ... 

Regards:

Samrat Jha.

Thanks for ur reply guys.thanks alot..could u provide me any sample docs regarding this testing policy...It will be helpfull..Thanks in advance..

I see. Thanks for the overview.

I guess my curiosity is getting the best of me and I have to ask this question: Are most testing organizations in India built on the framework outlined by ISTQB? 

I seem to see a lot of folks on this forum reference this governing body.

Behbood,

ISTQB  is the only widely accepted governing body .. and Indian testing board has withdrawn its own activities in support of ISTQB , that is the reason in India you can see influence of ISTQB material everywhere in testing ........   and one more thing I would add here , India is undoubtedly the leader in testing . as around 70% of the testing takes place in India or 70% of the testers across the globe is from Indian origin.. so one gets to see different terminology over here.....

I have noticed that too... Unfortunately, this governing body is not as high in US and Canada, from what we see...

Then again, due to outsourcing of testing activities, actual grunt testing work is done in India, while the management and leadership tasks are relegated to North America...

I strongly feel policy word does not suit here but process could be right or better word. However the document of policy or process should be prepared by experts from the concern department and then reviewed by SEPG and approved by management with responsibility of QA department to ensure that process/policy is instuitionalized.

Usually all great efforts are just recorded in documents without updates and just follow managers and management demands to deliver in hasty. A big failure demands all to go systematically and follow the defined process so once in a while those great documents are referred and then forget as usuall like following traffic rules in India.

After habituated bad habits we feel like this is our process or policy in our company and new comers should follow.

Most irritating thing is people join from different companies without different bad or good habits of policies / process that would be great challenge to manage.

One should be prepared to switch into new policy / process to sustain and enjoy new environment to deliver best together.

Thank you

G.N.Mallikarjuna Rao

Hello Neha,

Testing policy is the organization level document prepared by QA manager , which describes the testing standard in the organization.

Regards,

Ramesh

RSS

TTWT Magazine

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

© 2022   Created by Quality Testing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service