Step by step guide to learn QTP
You will wonder why this post is coming now? when it should ideally be the first post of this blog.
Well folks, I have got a question (in its various flavors/variants) at least a couple of hundred times on my mails, blog comments, social networking profiles.
"Karan, How should I start learning QTP"
So this time I thought I will put aside the "advanced posts" and write a detailed article for the beginners. For advanced users/experts reading this post, I would request you to contribute to my points mentioned below and share your experiences in the comments section, about how you started learning this tool.
1) Start with basics of Software Testing.
2) Learn what is regression testing.
3) learn about when should automation testing come into picture.
Refer When should we automate using QTP?
Now the real thing:
4) Download QTP tutorial. Preferably for the latest version. Go through the the tutorial word by word.
There are some topics that I consider of utmost important for beginners
* Understanding how QTP recognizes objects
* GetToProperty vs GetRoProperty
5) Download QTP demo version. This is valid for 14 days, which - if you work hard - should be enough for you to get a good hold on basics.[Remember to put "quick test professional" as your search string not "qtp" on the HP site]
6) Download QTP Student handbook. It takes you through the step by step sample case study. Practice with the demo applications provided. One is web based and the other is windows based.
7) Next learn VBScript, the scripting language used with QTP. Refer basics of VB Script Part1, Part2 and Part3.
Also learn how to manage the data table with QTP and Excel Part1, Part2, Part3
8) Once you're comfortable with this much, you are ready to take on a real-world project. If you can't get hold of any project, practice with the demo applications provided.
9) I am sure by now you must have started hearing about descriptive programming.
Learn the basics of Descriptive Programming and when it should be preferred over normal record/replay.
10) Once you have mastered the basics, Try answering questions. Remember, questions asked in the forums are from the real-time scenarios - you will get to learn a lot by sharing and reading different approaches to solve a particular problem.
Let me know through your comments below if you have other ideas of making "qtp learning" easier for beginners.
--------------- TO BE CONTINUED ....................